Pages

Tuesday, July 28

Thirty Pounds of Tomatoes

After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last month I was inspired to try canning my own tomato sauce. I bought 30 pounds of tomatoes from my CSA farm and planned a whole day to play in the kitchen. Not to spoil the story, but I have to say, things did not go smoothly. The best I can say is that lessons were learned, and there's something in the freezer that I'll eat in December or January and remember these 100+ degree days of summer....

My first goof was thinking that I had 40 pounds of tomatoes instead of 30. I didn't realize the misstep until much later in the day. Meanwhile, I froze 10 pounds of tomatoes whole. That left 20 pounds of tomatoes for cleaning, peeling, and seeding.

Here's what 20 pounds looks like:
And cleaning, peeling, and seeding takes much more time than you think. The novelty wore off a few hours into the day, but here's a picture when I was still giggly with the spirit of adventure:

So, my next miscalculation was the size of a pot you would need to create 10 quarts of tomato sauce. Fortunately, I was only dealing with 20 lbs instead of the 30 lbs called by the recipe. My biggest pot was only six quarts, and the amount of puree from 20 lbs was barely enough to fit:

Ah well. Sometimes the Universe just helps you out. At this point, I realized that my inexperience/ineptitude in the kitchen, mixed with the threat of botulism, were probably good enough reasons to go with freezing instead of canning. Plus, another benefit of freezing meant that I could throw in leftover veggies from the bottom of my icebox so they wouldn't go bad when I went on my week-long vacation. Problem(s) solved!

So, with my kitchen ship righted and my new course charted, I was ready to create some yummy Italian-style, ad hoc marinara. The reducing started early afternoon .... and took forever.

First, I was just trying to reduce it enough to get all the puree to fit in the pot, and then I remembered that I was supposed to be adding spices! So add them I did. I tried to act quickly to make up for lost time... and ended up adding the spices in the correct proportion to the 30 lb recipe, not the 20.

Well, by 9 at night I just decided to call it. The total quantity of sauce was about 4.5 quarts, about half that being spices. But what the heck. I figure I can always 'dilute' the sauce later with store-bought, canned tomato sauce.

(Yes, indeed. When Perfection went out the door, I had to throw Pride with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment